Friday, January 18, 2008

TRACY FLICK RIDES THE SHORT BUS

OK, so MAYBE I should have focused a little LESS on BEEP BEEP CHEATER during my French placement test the other day and MAYBE instead focused slightly more on not faking my own test, my PLACEMENT test. MAYBE I should not have turned it into a competition and MAYBE I should not have pretended to understand what the administrator said to me.
I AM OVERACHIEVER, OK? SO I TRIED TO OUTDO EVERYONE. SO WHAT? AT LEAST I HAVE GOALS. WHATEVER.

In the end it took very little time for me to realize after I brought my class books home, that I had just overachieved myself into a class that would be way too hard for me. After desperately trying to learn 8 chapters and 90 pages of gibberish in two days, I finally gave up. Today I did what any self respecting perfectionist/A++ extra credit-seeking nerd would NEVER have done.
I walked back into my French school and requested an easier class.

It was really emotionally traumatizing for me and my head hung low as I walked into the building to ask where shop class is, but at least I managed to ask in French and I added a big dramatic sigh at the end to which the perfunctory administrator gave me a quick understanding smile. "Pooor deeear", his eyes said as he erased my classroom number and replaced it with what I assume is the basement next to the gym. "Someone thought she was a LIIITTLE bit smarter than she actually is." STAMP STAMP.
Done.
It's OK. I'll learn from this and come out a better person.
There is NOTHING wrong with auto class.
The short bus comes for me starting on Monday.
"Boooonjoooour. Je m'appelle Tracy Flick."

No comments: